Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Is the closing date on my contract absolute?
    1. No, it is a guide line and the actual date will depend on many factors. Including time to complete appraisal, underwriting and title work… Actual closing date may not solidify until a week before.
  2. Will I get EMD back?
    1. The Ernest Money Deposit is a credit at closing. It does get returned at that time if contract contingencies are met. Should a buyer back out of a sale without the reason being a contingency in contract, it may be kept by seller as payment for the time the home was pulled off market.
  3. When do I need to have my insurance and utilities?
    1. Shop for insurance after the inspection and transfer your utilities as soon as you have a closing date and time.
  4. What is title insurance?
    1. Title insurance is the verification of the sellers ability to transfer title (legally sell the home) and shows and liens, easement or other issues.
  5. What are mineral rights?
    1. Mineral rights are the right to minerals below the surface of the land. In Michigan they are often owned by the state, timber companies or mining companies.
  6. What can I do with my waterfront?
    1. Property usage can be regulated by local zoning ordinances, restricted covenants, EPA, and the particular body of water or shoreline.
  7. Will I get keys at closing?
    1. Yes, unless seller has post closing occupancy as per purchase agreement.
  8. What will my taxes be?
    1. One can expect their taxes to be higher than what the seller is paying. We recommend checking,1607,7-238-43535_43540—,00.html MI property tax estimator.
  9. What is a walk thru?
    1. This is a walk thru of the home with your agent, typically done 24-72 hours prior to closing unless seller has (per contract) post-closing occupancy.
  10. Who pays commission?
    1. Commission is a cost to the seller who is able to claim it as a deduction and the total commission pays both the sellers agent and the buyer’s agent.
  11. Why would a buyer need a buyer’s agent?
    1. A buyer’s agent will work for the buyer’s best interest and can provide home information and provide showings from all agent and company listings in the MLS.
  12. What is the MLS?
    1. MLS stands for Multiple Listing Service – A cooperative agreement between local real estate companies that allows agents to provide information and show listings from any participating company.
  13. Do I need an attorney?
    1. Michigan does not require an attorney to handle a closing or be involved. Every situation is unique and your realtor can recommend when and if one is needed.
  14. What is a pre-approval?
    1. The banks preliminary approval of your financial ability to purchase. Often required to see homes and is often good only for a specific period of time.
  15. When and how do I contact an agent?
    1. Once you have your agent, they can guide you in the preferred method of contact (email, text or call). Agents often work outside the typical 9-5 hours and are usually available by text and email. Work with your agent to facilitate the communication.